Entry: Soundproof Inclosure for CNC Motorcar (proxxon Mf70)

As I am today in an flat, I can't ready noise anymore. This box appropriate me to work/play without neighbor issues. The other big reward is to contain the dust and the rotten smell of machining.

This enclosure reduce the noise away 12db according to my iPhone and the SLALite app which looks not really impressive but in point of fact is a of import improvement. Answer not block that 12db correspond to a factor of 16 of sound bountifulness fading. Concretely, now my vacancy cleaner is more rip-roaring than my CNC milling machine.

The theory says that a heavy material stop and reflect a sound wave. As I couldn't make a cast iron box I choose wood. But we also need another material to absorb and dissipate the energy and avoiding to take a leak sound box same a guitar. This is the character of the mat stratum situated inside. At the end I noticed great improvements by adding polystyrene foam at some strategic places. I think that it avoids the machine vibrations to be genetic to the box. I also placed the boxful happening foam cubs.

For the Proxxon mf70, the box I made measures 50 (length) x 53 (height) x 41 (deepness) cm.

Step 1: Gluing

I bought a wooden board (300 x 40 x 2), a 4mm Plexiglas window and 6 cheap mats. I made the board cut at the good size at the store. I besides finally used some polystyrene sparkle for home insolation I already had.

The parts were cut at the entrepot at 50 x 40 centimeter. Acknowledge that the bottom is non closed. Information technology is imputable the fact that all the parts come from the 300 x 40 x 2 cm lumber. Information technology allows me to stimulate a custom part with holes for the wires and, peradventur in the future, a ventilating system.

I merely glued the edges and assembled the parts. Equally I didn't have large clamps, I just put wicked stuff on IT and secured with dwarfish lumbers and clamps as shown in the pictures. I did this in 2 multiplication: At initiatory the sides and top, and after the bottom.

Stride 2: Complementary the Bottom

The last part was cut at home. The last hole will make up closed by a while of wood in which all the wiring is passing through. It is maintained by hot glue ready to be easily removed.

Step 3: Adding the Mats

The mats where already 40 cm wide so I adjusted them to the inner of the box with a cutter. I then glued one side and lend oneself them in the box.

Step 4: Adding the Window

I cut the window by hand because it tends to run if done with a buzz saw. I and then drilled the hinges holes. I used bowdlerise wood screws to attach the window.

It is the same process for the brooch.

Step 5: Adding the Sparkle

The original test was disappointing, I didn't see much advance. I took some fleck polystyrene foam an tried several configurations. I apprehended that the box was vibrating because of conduction when I decoupled the machine from the box by placing it connected the foam. According to my iPhone, I also gained few dB with the integration parts.

Be the First to Share

Recommendations

  • Anything Goes Contest 2022

    Anything Goes Contest 2022